ONCE SAVED FOREVER SAVED DOCTRINE
The age long debate in the Body of Christ is ‘at what point is a salvation guaranteed? The two basic School of Thought is:
ONCE SAVED, FOREVER SAVED and YOU ARE NOT SAVED UNTIL YOU GET TO HEAVEN. Both of these assertions are wrong. Recently, the 1st assertion has resurrected with a new name called ETERNAL SECURITY. This is a new trend among the HYPER GRACE PREACHERS. The question is this, once you give your life to Christ, are you saved forever? The answer is YES AND NO. I will journey from the NO to the YES. The NO reasons are stated below:
1. The presence of a type of sin called A SIN UNTO DEATH. 1 John 5:16-17 already disapprove of the claim of anything called Eternal Security. The Sin unto death is the sin of consciously turning away from God. Heb. 6:4-6 & 10:26-31 shed more light unto it. Kenneth Hagin (of blessed memory) explained in details in his book called THE TRIUMPHANT CHURCH.
2. Paul the apostle did a good job on this subject in his epistles. If you study Romans chapter 6-8, you will discover that SALVATION IS NOT UNFORFEITABLE. There are 3 categories of people in ROM. 8;
IN CHRIST, IN THE FLESH and AFTER THE FLESH. The ‘IN THE FLESH are not born again. But, the ‘AFTER THE FLESH’ are believers that are BODY-RULED or SENSE-RULED. Paul tells us ‘THEY SHALL DIE’. RoM.8:6,13.
Salvation is guaranteed here only IF YOU THROUGH THE SPIRIT MORTIFY/PUT TO DEATH THE DEEDS OF THE BODY.Vs 13.
3. Unfed babies in Christ can die. 1Pet.2:2. You don’t need to a Professor of Divinity in Oral Robert University to know this. The same way a natural baby not fed and taken care can die is the same way an unfed baby spiritually can also lose his/her salvation. This is why THE ONLY THING THAT GUARANTEED SALVATION IS SPIRITUAL GROWTH.
The Parable of the Sower further buttress this point. Mt.13:18-23, Mk.4:1-20, Luke 8:5-15. The seed sown is the Word of God(containing Zoe), the fields are the heart of men and the Sower is GOD.
4. The Life of God-Zoe is both A PRESENT POSSESSION AND A HOPE for believers. Some scriptures shows that Eternal Life will be given based on one’s action on this side of eternity. Titus 1:3,1Tim.6:12,19, James 1:12, Rev.2:10 while the some other writings shows that Zoe has been given already 1John 5:12-13, John 5:24.
There is a balance: Zoe is a PRESENT DAY POSSESSION OF BELIEVERS GIVING ON THE CONDITION OF REMAINING IN CHRIST. If you are out, you lose it. Zoe is IN THE SON(CHRIST) and it is he that has the Son that has ZOE.1JOHN 5:12. Outside of Christ, we are NOTHING and have nothing except the nature of the Devil. That’s why Jesus says to ABIDE IN HIM. John 15:1-16.
The provisions of the Sacrifices of Jesus are only accessible IN CHRIST.
Righteousness (Right Standing with God) at the end of the day should produce RIGHT DOING. Else, we may doubt whether you have had the right positioning to begin with. The free gift of RIGHTEOUSNESS (2Cor.5:21) should produce THE FRUITS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS. Rom. 6:22, 7:4-5, Gal.5:22-23, Eph.5:9, Phil.1:11,22, Heb.12:11.
5. Apostle Paul concluded in Romans 8 that the 17 things listed there Cannot separate us from the Love of God in Christ. Note that Nothing can stop Christ from loving you (He has been loving you before you came to Him). But, the things Paul listed are those that can affect your (MAN) love for God. Paul made this audacious statement because of the level of his personal WALK WITH GOD. You can decide to separate yourself if you like.
6. Also, scriptures like Philippians 3:13, James 1:21 and some others PROOF that Salvation is not instantaneous. We are saved (spirit), we are being saved(Soul) and we shall be saved(body).
7. Rev. 3:5,16 shows possibility of losing one’s salvation.
Eternal Insurance/Security is ONLY AVAILABLE IN CHRIST. If you are not IN CHRIST (PRESENT CONTINUOUS ACTION), YOU DON’T HAVE ETERNAL SECURITY.
Grace is never a license to continue in sinful acts. Though, we are not savedby works, but we are saved unto good works (the fruits that we bear because of our fellowship with the Vine). The imbalance Grace teachings on a lot of pulpits are responsible for the gross Character defects in the Body of Christ.
I submit to you without any sentiment that the doctrine of ‘ONCE SAVED FOREVER SAVED’ is part of the doctrines of Devils apostle Paul talked in 1 Tim. 4:1.
Any teaching that put the whole responsibilities of salvation only on what Christ has done is IN BALANCED AND MISLEADING AND HERETIC.
I REST MY CASE.
ONCE SAVED FOREVER SAVED DOCTRINE